Skip to content
The How to setup APA formatting in Word 2016
Instructions to format an APA paper in Word 2016:
- APA format requires certain font formatting. To begin with, open a document that is new Word and make sure the house tab is selected. In the Font Group, s et your font to Times New Roman, size 12 pt.
- Next, while in the Home tab, seek out the Paragraph group, and click in the bottom right hand arrow. Once the Paragraph dialog box appears, replace the settings to Double line spacing and make certain to set the before and after spacing to 0pt. Close the window.
- To begin setting up your title page, choose the Center paragraph alignment found in the Paragraph group when you look at the Home tab.
- Now type the title of one’s paper,and hit Enter regarding the keyboard to move to the line that is next. Next, type your name, hit Enter on the keyboard again, and type “NWTC” (or “Northeast Wisconsin Technical College”) all entries ought to be on separate lines.
- The title page information should be farther down the page. Position the insertion point/cursor prior to the start of the title. Press Enter once or twice to put the text in the top third of this page. It must not be any lower than halfway listed below.
- To start the page that is second position the insertion point/cursor at the conclusion of the phrase “College” (or after “NWTC”). Click on the Insert tab and find the Pages group, then Page Break. Click on thePage Break button to maneuver into the first type of page 2. Then, type the title of your press and essay enter.
- To create the sentence that is first of essay, go back to the Paragraph group regarding the Home tab, and set the writing to left-align.
- Press Tab once (in the keyboard) to indent the first paragraph, and begin typing.
- You are now prepared to set the header up. Scroll back up to the top the document, and double-click anywhere in the blank area at the top the page. This can open the header. In addition it selects the Design tab for you personally. Look to your options group, then check the First Page” that is“Different box. Repeat this before you type anything in the header.
To incorporate your page numbers, click the Design tab
- Then choose the Page Number option, choose “Top of Page”, and then choose “Plain Number 1”. (If you simply type a number, that number is buy essay likely to be for each page.)
- Now, type the text head that is“Running and also the title of the essay. Make sure to put the title of the essay in ALL CAPS, and do not capitalize “head”.
- Press the Tab key twice to move the page number over to the right margin. (HINT: In headers and footers, the tab key moves to three position, left justified, center justified, and right justified)
- Now, scroll down and soon you start to see the header space for page 2. Insert the page number with the exact same process as in steps 9, 10, and 11 above. The only real difference is that this site will not require the words “Running head.” Just type the title of one’s essay in ALL CAPS.
- You have finally finished setting up your document in APA format. Double-click anywhere in the body that is main of document to close the header view (or click the Close Header and Footer button). Head to page 2 to carry on typing your essay. We strongly recommend that at this point you “Save As” your paper to preserve all the formatting just done.
- Once you’ve completed your paper, it is important to include a page that is separate the conclusion for your References.