Why am we more susceptible to getting HIV or a sexually sent Infection (STI)?
It’s important to simply simply take protective measures in order to avoid HIV that is catching or STIs during intercourse given that danger is greater for males that have intercourse with males compared to other folks. It is because the liner for the rectum is more delicate than the liner of a vagina which is consequently more at an increased risk to become damaged.
Insertive anal intercourse (topping) is typically an inferior danger for HIV than receptive rectal intercourse (bottoming), but both topping and bottoming during unprotected (condomless) anal intercourse is recognized as risky.
Guys that have intercourse with men constructed 45% of brand new HIV diagnoses in 2017 in britain. Within Solent Sexual Health males that have intercourse with men made 48% of all of the new HIV diagnoses in 2018.
There are also increases into the wide range of Syphilis and Gonorrhoea diagnoses in Hampshire. Both these could be handed down by condomless intercourse along with anal intercourse.
With PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) being more easy to get at, many people might be placing by themselves at greater threat of catching an STI as PrEP just protects against HIV transmission.
Lowering your chance of getting an STI or HIV
The way that is best to guard your self if you should be likely to have dental or rectal intercourse is make use of condom each and every time. Even though they aren’t 100% fully guaranteed, whenever utilized correctly condoms are incredibly effective. Top strategies for making use of condoms.
Condoms are available different sizes and varieties, consequently when you haven’t quite discovered the fit that is right feel, take to utilizing alternative sizes, brands and kinds to see just what works for you. If you should be responsive to latex, decide to try making use of latex free condoms. Condoms can be found free via our Condoms by Post solution.
You may lessen your danger by:
- Making use of lubrication. We suggest water based lube, nonetheless this could be dry or sticky making condom splitting more likely. Keep refreshing it with additional lube or a couple of falls of water while having sex. Spit can spread some STIs, therefore avoid saliva that is using.
- Reducing the wide range of intimate lovers you’ve got
- Getting tested for STIs before making love with some body brand new and advising that in addition they have tested. If you should be having regular alterations in intimate lovers then 3 month-to-month STI evaluating is preferred.
- Reducing other items which could impact your choices, such has eating too much liquor or using medications.
- Getting immunised (vaccinated) against Hepatitis B, Hepatitis an and some kinds of HPV.
If you utilize medications included in the intercourse you will be having (Chemsex), it is vital that you be informed of this dangers involved and how to relax and play since properly as you can. Some forms of Chems pose a greater danger for you simply because they could cause long run health issues such as for instance despair, losing weight and emotional dependence. To learn more about playing properly, click the link.
If you’re concerned which you have already been confronted with HIV just click here.
Professional services we could provide for you
- Hepatitis a for males
- Hepatitis B for males
- Peoples Papillomavirus (HPV) for guys aged between 15 and 45
MSM clinic (Center Xtra):
Clinic Xtra provides services that are tailored males that have intercourse with males including:
- post publicity prophylaxis for HIV (PEPSE)
- advice and help for pre publicity prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP)
- recommendations for help around ChemSex and substance abuse and danger decrease
- STI treatment and testing
Hospital Xtra intimate health clinics can be obtained at:
- St Marys Hospital, Portsmouth: Thursday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Royal Southern Hants Hospital, Southampton: Thursday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Crown Heights, Basingstoke: Monday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Andover wellness Centre: 10:30am – 12:00pm friday
Do you want make it possible to lower your danger?
You can arrange to see one of our health promotion practitioners if you would like to find out about support available or further advice. Please contact 0300 300 2016 and have to talk with the Sexual Health marketing Team or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you confronted with HIV?
You might have been exposed to HIV (had unprotected sex with someone whose HIV status you do not know, or know to be positive and not on fully suppressed (undetectable) on treatment, or shared injecting equipment), you may be eligible for Post-exposure Prophylaxis if you are concerned.
Effective HIV treatment (ART) lets people lead healthier lives that are active additionally protects their lovers. Whenever load that is viral undetectable on ART, HIV is not any longer sexually transmitted – with or without condoms. The ev
Post-exposure Prophylaxis ( PEPSE or PEP) is medicine you can easily just just simply take in reducing the possibility of HIV transmission. It really is per month course that is very long of that is taken after unsafe sex where there’s been a greater chance of visibility. PEP or PEPSE should be used right as possible after intercourse, and absolutely within 72 hours. The sooner it is started a lot more likely it really is to your workplace. You need to have an evaluation having a physician or nursing assistant just before are recommended this medicine. It is necessary which you finalize the course once you’ve started it.
That you have been exposed to HIV you should attend one of our clinics, or an Accident and Emergency department straight away if you are worried.